Welcome to Edpisode #9 of the Where Else to Go podcast.
Today’s guest is Jennifer Dombrowski and she’s going to help us understand why visiting Venice gets such an undeserved bad rap, then give us some suggestions for turning that around, making Venice a great where else to go destination.
We talked about how, just a few streets off the main area, you can find delicious, reasonably priced food, how to enjoy the other islands, and information on getting around and enjoying Venice.
Visiting Venice is one of the must-dos in Italy, but there is so much more to Italy’s city built on the water than meets the eye (or your guidebook tells you). Venice is actually just one of the islands in the Venetian Lagoon and it’s well worth hopping around on the water buses to see just how different one island is from another.
Some of the islands she recommends when you visit Venice:
- Burano: famous for its fisherman and lacemakers. Jennifer wrote a guide to Burano that’s worth checking out.
- Mazzorbo: connected to Burano by a small wooden footbridge, most visitors never set foot on the sleep island home to the only winery and vineyard in the Venetian Lagoon
- Murano: famous for its glassblowers
- Lido: home to the only beach in the Venetian Lagoon and perfect for exploring on a bicycle
- Poveglia: the haunted and abandoned island
- Giudecca: once home to grand palaces, its now mostly residential but has great parks and restaurants
Many of the recommendations Jennifer made in the podcast are small spots that don’t have websites. When in Venice, find a local who can help you location the place, or maybe even make another recommendation. Here are a few spots Jennifer recommends that do have websites.
- Al Gatto Nero
- Row Venice
- Boat rental recommendation: Venice Boat Rent
You can subscribe to the Where Else to Go podcast and listen to it on your mobile devices, with Apple Podcasts, Google Play, or your favorite podcast player.
About Jennifer: Jennifer Dombrowski is a location independent globe trotter who is based in Italy. She works as a freelance social media strategist and is an award-winning travel writer. She is also a travel correspondent on Traveling on the American Forces Radio Network. Luxe Adventure Traveler was named one of the top travel blogs to watch by the Huffington Post and has been featured by top publications such as National Geographic, CNN, Buzzfeed , and The Telegraph. Her iPhoneograpy has also been featured on publications such as USA Today and Travel + Leisure and on the Travel Channel.
You can read about Jennifer’s travels on her blog, Luxe Adventure Traveler, and follow her on social media: Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.
We’re all dreaming about when we can visit Italy again! Save this to your favorite Pinterest boards and plan to visit Venice almost like a local.